[LEAPSECS] Bloomberg announced its smear

John Sauter John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com
Sun Sep 25 23:55:24 EDT 2016

On Sun, 2016-09-25 at 19:08 -0700, Christopher Hoover wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Google smears, too[1].  Smearing is a good engineering solution for
> datacenter-scale computing and planet-wide databases [2].
>
> Disclosure: I"m at Google.
>
> -christopher.
> 73 de AI6KG
>
> [1] https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/time-technology-and-leapi
> ng-seconds.html
> [2] http://research.google.com/archive/spanner.html

Google says in the blog that they did the smearing to avoid the need to
review all of their time-sensitive code.  Those of us who love leap
seconds need to spend the next 10 years doing that code review, and the
necessary testing and bug fixing to get everything working in the
presence of leap seconds.

We also need to fix operating systems and subroutine libraries so that
when application programmers, who don't care about leap seconds, write
their code it will "just work".

If we do that, then the next time the issue is considered there will be
much less motivation to abandon leap seconds.
    John Sauter (John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com)
--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E