[LEAPSECS] Leap seconds ain't broken, but most implementations are broken

Steve Summit scs+ls at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 3 23:51:09 EST 2017

Tony Finch wrote:
> Even though NTP can represent current UTC correctly, it often gets leap
> seconds wrong. It does not give confidence that we will be able to
> reduce bugs by teaching more code about leap seconds, when NTP cares
> about time and gets it wrong, and most code cares much less.

I feel a little bit like I'm rearranging deck chairs on the
Titanic with this kind of suggestion (and I know this isn't the
NTP list), but the appalling number of NTP servers that got it
wrong this time around made me think that another extension NTP
needs is a way to announce an upcoming leap second (i.e. one it
knows about) more than 24 hours in advance, so that those of us
who care can confirm that the servers we're using are going to
get it right.