[LEAPSECS] alternative to smearing

Sanjeev Gupta ghane0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 06:55:08 EST 2017

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> How far in advance were the last daylight savings changes announced?

In the US, the Energy Policy Act of 2005 which changed onset of DST in Mar
2007, was enacted in Aug 2005, but this amount of notice is rare worldwide.

If you wish to see more interesting examples, I recommend, in the last year,
Venezuela, Egypt, Morocco, Palestine, etc.  In Egypt, airlines were quoting
two times ("If you have implemented DST on your watch, the flight leaves at
8pm.  Else it leaves at 7pm.  We hope you know what your watch is doing").
The date and time for the shift was announced, re-announced, un-announced,
clarified, to be at midnight, ie 1am, etc.

In fact, much of the Middle East wishes to run DST, but not during
Ramadaan, and for reasons not clear to me, wants DST suspended precisely on
those 28-29 days.  So we go on DST in summer, and then are told that DST
will be suspended from 9th Jun to 6th Jul, which changes a couple of times
as we argue on which day we will see the moon, or we might calculate it,
but for which longitude, and my father said he had been told by a wise old
man that ...

And yet planes refuse to fall out of the sky :-)

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane