[LEAPSECS] next leap second

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Thu Jan 12 13:08:08 EST 2017

On 2017-01-12 12:18 PM, Michael Shields via LEAPSECS wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Zefram <zefram at fysh.org> wrote:
>>> It would be nice to have more sophisticated projections from IERS more
>>> than a year ahead.  It would particularly help in evaluating the proposals
>>> that have been made involving scheduling leap seconds further ahead.
>> Especially if they had error bars that reflect the current confidence
>> levels, perhaps tested on historic data.
> It might also be helpful if we understood better how these models are
> used to decide when to announce leap seconds.
As I understand it, it's pretty complicated. IERS is the top node in a
hierarchy of entities; there are many contributing organizations
including the participating observatories and interaction with BIPM. The
IERS conventions guide the procedures, and those are large and
complicated documents. It's a pretty big administrative and technical
apparatus. It would be nice to understand it better, but the bottom line
for practical timekeeping discussions seems to be the IERS products.

Maybe someone can inform us better?

-Brooks