[LEAPSECS] leap seconds since WRC-15

Michael.Deckers Michael.Deckers at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 16:20:40 EST 2017

On 2017-11-26 23:29, Steve Allen wrote:

> At the 2015 WRC the general assembly seemed to admit that the folks
> pushing to abandon leap seconds had not done their homework.  In the
> interim the news has been thin, but there are some good clues that the
> homework is being done.
>
> The clearest of all these comes directly from the BIPM itself
> and gives a timeline of many things that have been happening and
> will be happening
> https://www.bipm.org/cc/PARTNERS/Allowed/2016_October/5-Decision-of-the-WRC-2015-on-the-leap-second.pdf
> Folks who are editing the wikipedia page on the leap second process
> may wish to review this as citable evidence of what is happening.
>
> This lays out that the BIPM watched the CCTF create a task group under
> the Working Group on TAI (WGTAI).  The Task Group on Time Scale
> Definitions (TGTSD) first met 2016-09-28.
>
> Much, more, this lays out the timeline as seen from the BIPM.
> The TGTSD submitted a report to the CCTF meeting 2017-06-08/09.
> That approved a recommendation sent to the CIPM 2017-10/11 which
> might have approved a recommendation to be sent to CGPM 2018.

    Thanks for the info! While the ITU actions are difficult to
    follow by outsiders, BIPM actions are more easily visible.

    I find it most relevant that the BIPM seems to intend
    to make leap seconds a topic in the next CGPM in 2018-11.
    See
        http://www.bipm.org/cc/PARTNERS/Allowed
        /2017_October/Plans-for-the-26th-CGPM-M-MILTON.pdf

    The CGPM is similarly influential as the WRC on the
    international level, they have have ties with the OIML,
    and they are probably more metrology-oriented than the ITU.

    Michael Deckers.