[LEAPSECS] is leap smear legal in Germany?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Feb 4 13:21:33 EST 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:14 AM Kevin Birth <Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu> wrote:

> Since law significantly lags behind technology, the leap smear is probably
> not illegal in any private network in any country.  After all, UTC is still
> not the "legal" time in many countries.
>
> NTP was developed after rubber seconds.  If NTP had developed before
> rubber seconds, and if the increments lengthening the rubber seconds were
> small enough, there might never have been a leap second policy.

Maybe, maybe not. For some things, rubber leap seconds are fine. For
others, the error in the frequency exceeds the tolerances for control
systems that care about errors as small as 1E-6 that will be wrong on leap
second spear day. Having seconds of different lengths is a problem for this
class of people, and will be a problem whether or not there's a leap second
step.

NTP was developed after leap seconds started, it is true. But it took
20-odd years after it was developed for people to start smearing leap
seconds. The prime mover for leap seconds was never computer time, which in
1970 sucked by today's standards: to be within minutes of the "correct"
time was good enough so nuanced differences in what was "correct" were
never given much of a though (UTC, UT1, UT2, TAI, meh, the delta between
these is 1000x smaller than what my system time can track, so who cares).
It was all about navigation and making sure that there was uniformity.

Warner

Cheers,