Implicit Link Names

Jason Clark jason at jclark.org
Fri Apr 2 13:57:18 EST 2004

Gee, spend a few days away from email, and look at all the activity on
the list! (i.e., sorry i'm late to the party)

Referring to implicit link sytax,
On Mar 30, 2004, at 7:17 PM, John Gruber wrote:

> I think the odds of accidental triggering are very low, because
> you'd have to define a link with that text. And even if you *did*
> trigger it by accident, I think most people would think it's a
> reasonable thing.
>
> Unless I think of some other reason, I'll hook this up and release a
> version of Markdown with this to the list.

The implicit [link] sytax was the first thing I thought of when I first
started using Markdown (remember Beta 1?)  After testing it in the
dingus and failing, I stumbled across the [link][] syntax.  I've been
using that instead, but would prefer to lose the extra chars.  Having
read all of the subsequent conversation, I still think the risk of
accidental triggering is negligable, and I hope to see this feature.
Has this version been released yet (didn't see it on the list)?

Also (assuming adoption of the feature after testing), would this
eliminate the [link][] sytax?  MD is still beta, so I'd vote to remove
it as cruft, but I'll just need to know so I can edit a few entries on
my site.

[link]: http://example.com/included/for/completeness

Jason Clark <jason at jclark.org>
http://jclark.org/weblog/