Markdown and Mathematics

David J. Weller-Fahy dave-lists-markdown-discuss at weller-fahy.com
Wed Apr 7 18:03:19 EDT 2004

* Jelks Cabaniss <jelks at jelks.nu> [2004-04-07 12:40 -0800]:
> > So, I think the question is, what should those delimiters be?
>
> Whatever they end up being, you'll probably want to include the "notation"
> along with the delimiters, something like
>
>	{$mathml: ... Math expression ... $}
>	{$latex:  ... line noise ... $}

Maybe I'm being too simplistic about this, but aren't (X)HTML tags
already ignored by Markdown?  If that's the case, why not just use the
'<' and '>' characters?

Using the <>, the following would all be ignored by Markdown:

<mathml: ... Math expression ... >
<latex: ... line noise ... >

Or, if closing tags are critical for Markdown's recognition of something
that it should ignore:

<mathml>... Math expression ...</mathml>
<latex>... line noise ...</latex>

In this way (theoretically :) a new delimiter would not need to be
added.  Let me know if this would not work as expected.

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]