Markdown and Mathematics

David J. Weller-Fahy dave-lists-markdown-discuss at weller-fahy.com
Thu Apr 8 12:06:23 EDT 2004

* Jelks Cabaniss <jelks at jelks.nu> [2004-04-07 16:16 -0800]:
> David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:
> >> 	{$mathml: ... Math expression ... $}
> >> 	{$latex:  ... line noise ... $}
>
> > Maybe I'm being too simplistic about this, but aren't (X)HTML tags
> > already ignored by Markdown?  If that's the case, why not just use
> > the '<' and '>' characters?
>
> For MathML, just use
> 	<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
> 	</math>
>
> But I thought what was wanted was an extension mechanism to allow
> conversions of ASCIIfications of MathML etc.  Something like enabling
> "plug-ins" for Markdown.  Maybe I was reading too much into it.

I don't think you're reading too much into it.  Extensions to Markdown
will process the text themselves, so I don't believe Markdown has to do
anything with those tags except recognize that it shouldn't process that
chunk, right?

If so, just having Markdown leave those particular pieces of text alone
should be enough.  I think that method fits in nicely with the KISS
ideology behind Markdown.

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]