[ADMIN] Posting to the list from other addresses.

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Thu Apr 8 13:32:27 EDT 2004

Once a week or so, someone sends a message to the list from an
address other than the one they used to subscribe. E.g., they
subscribed using the address:

    lists at joeblow.example.com

but they submitted a post using the address:

    joe at joeblow.example.com

Previously, I had the list software set to discard these messages
silently, but send me (the list admin) a notice. And then I'd write
off-list to the poster and ask them to resend from the other address.

I've changed the list software prefs such that these messages are
now bounced back to the poster, automatically. However, as far as I
can tell, Mailmain (the list software) doesn't allow me to customize
the message send with the bounce.

This is what it says:

    You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your
    message has been automatically rejected.  If you think that
    your messages are being rejected in error, contact the
    mailing list owner at
    markdown-discuss-owner at six.pairlist.net.

I wish I could tweak this so that it mentions that the most likely
reason for this is that you sent the message from the wrong address.

If you ever get a message like this when you try to post, please
check the address and resend.

[If any Mailman experts know how to tweak this, feel free to email
me off-list. Note that I don't have access to the Mailman source;
it's hosted by my web hosting provider.]

Thanks,