From FormatBreaks to Markdown

Jay Allen markdown at openwire.com
Sun Apr 18 08:12:24 EDT 2004

On Apr 18, 2004, at 6:22 AM, John Gruber wrote:

> Jay Allen <markdown at openwire.com> wrote on 04/12/04 at 9:44p:
>
>> Anyhow, now I'm in a bit of a pickle.  If I remove the
>> convert_breaks="0" from <$MTEntryBody$> and its brethren in favor of
>> using Markdown, all previous non-Markdown entries will be utterly
>> wacked.  Might any of you see a clear path[1] through this jungle of
>> conversion?
>
> What were/are you using the FormatBreaks plug-in to achieve?
>
> I.e., in what way will the pre-Markdown entries be wacked? Maybe you
> can just use Markdown as a filter for them, if they're mostly-HTML
> but just need <p> tags?

It wasn't clear to me that Markdown would handle my previous content
formatted with FormatBreaks seamlessly.  It in fact does, which is
great.

However, I cannot just remove the format_breaks tag from the template
and start using Markdown from now on.  What I must do, is go into MySQL
and change all of the entry_convert_breaks values in the mt_entry table
for my previous entries to 'markdown' instead of '__default__' and THEN
remove the tag from the templates.  If I don't change the previous
entries, they will not be formatted correctly.  Correct?

-j-
http://www.jayallen.org/