From FormatBreaks to Markdown

Jay Allen markdown at openwire.com
Sun Apr 25 19:24:55 EDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 1:16 AM, John Gruber wrote:

> Good. One goal for the format is to design such that you can use as
> little or as much as you want.

	Indeed.  I've been using Markdown as my default text formatting on my
MT3 beta test blog (http://www.jayallen.org/misc/trash/mtbeta/) and
it's absolutely fantastic.  I've been meaning to write a post refuting
my own "lock-in" post by saying that the time and energy Markdown saves
me is far more than I would ever have to spend to reconvert later on.
Unfortunately, I'm under a deadline right now, so it waits...

	I just keep thinking to myself "It's SO damn easy to read and edit!"
I know you know this already, John.

> Yes, I suppose that if you didn't change them all to Markdown,
> they'd be formatted with MT's built-in default line-breaks option.
>
> Just goes to show how hard it is to completely avoid format-specific
> "lock-in", no?

	Indeed.  But again, it's one line of SQL and a rebuild.  The only
reason I haven't done it yet is because, like I said, I'm busy and have
no time to devote to fixing it in case I screw anything up.  I've found
this always to be a wise policy regarding databases in general.

-j-
http://www.jayallen.org/