Bug: INS/DEL in block context (1.04b)

Jay Allen markdown at openwire.com
Wed Apr 28 10:57:12 EDT 2004

I pored through the archives (which really needs search functionality),
the documentation and even the Markdown source code trying to
block-level context of it's dual life[1].

For the record, in my Markdown formatted entry, I have something like
this:

<ins datetime="2004-04-26T19:52:00+01:00">
<strong>Update:</strong> This is an update.
</ins>

Since INS is used in a block-level context here, Markdown should leave
it alone.  However, it produces the following code.

<strong>Update:</strong> This is an update.

Which is not only invalid, but HIGHLY illegal in XHTML-Strict for a few
reasons.  I played around for a while in the dingus
(http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/dingus) to see if I could
get Markdown to leave it alone, but I failed.  Once I looked into the
source code, I saw that there was no provision for treating INS and DEL
as block-level elements when they are used that way.

So, there's the bug.  Now, the feature request: It would be grand if
Markdown could format INS and DEL in block-level context for us.
Perhaps something like:

+datetime=2004-04-26T19:52:00+01:00
+cite=http://blah.com
+This is an update
+
+Ain't it grand

-datetime=2004-04-26T19:52:00+01:00
-cite=http://blah.com
-This is a deleted section.
-
-Ain't it sad

Or something like that.

Any thoughts on bug or feature request?

-j-
http://www.jayallen.org/

[1] - From http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#h-9.4

-------
These two elements are unusual for HTML in that they may serve as
either block-level or inline elements (but not both). They may contain
one or more words within a paragraph or contain one or more block-level
elements such as paragraphs, lists and tables.

ILLEGAL EXAMPLE:
  The following is not legal HTML.
<P>
<INS><DIV>...block-level content...</DIV></INS>
</P>
-------