Bug: INS/DEL in block context (1.04b)

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Thu Apr 29 19:29:46 EDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 6:30 PM, John Gruber wrote:

> I believe that is incorrect. [that <ins> isn't a block-level element
> ... or something]

As I understand it, <ins> and <del> are very special cases.  Their
effect on well-formedness depends on context.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#h-9.4

They're like <blockquote>:  not structural, not exactly inline -- in
that they can surround structural elements -- but subject to the same
concentric nesting restrictions as inline markup.  They can't *be* the
container, but they have to respect containers.  They're just a
they just provide a specialized DOM-hook for user-agents to do
something with if they choose.

LQ