Numeric References again (was: The Ping Plan)

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Fri Apr 30 18:16:20 EDT 2004

Jelks Cabaniss <jelks at jelks.nu> wrote on 04/30/04 at 3:53p:

> For *numeric* references *only*, the preceding word (i.e., the word before
> the square-bracketed number) becomes the link text.

I see the appeal of this, but I don't like the idea of making a
special case for numeric references only. I think it's so much
simpler with the current rules, where Markdown just doesn't care
about what you use to name your references.

I also think it's in conflict with the proposal to allow `[this]` as
a shortcut for `[this][]`.