The Ping Plan

David J. Weller-Fahy dave-lists-markdown-discuss at weller-fahy.com
Fri Apr 30 20:18:24 EDT 2004

* John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> [2004-04-30 14:56 -0800]:
> David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-markdown-discuss at weller-fahy.com> wrote on 04/30/04 at 2:38p:
> >   Just go to http://www.example.com.
> >
> > as:
> >
> >   Just go to <a href="http://www.example.com">http://www.example.com</a>.
>
> Right, that's exactly what I meant.

I've seen some people use
	http://www.bleah.com.

instead of
	http://www.bleah.com

throughout mailing lists, usenet, etc.  Is that (with the trailing
period) a valid use?  Or is it something that works, but is not part of
the official URL/DNS syntax?  If that syntax is valid, should Markdown
disallow the use of valid syntax?

Just questions that popped into my head while reading.  With quick
searching I found the syntax for URLs, but no mention of a trailing
period.  I seem to remember that in DNS terminology it (trailing period)
represents the root zone, but I may be incorrect.

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]