PHP Markdown, speed, MovableType

Julian 'Julik' Tarkhanov listbox at julik.nl
Thu Dec 2 18:23:48 EST 2004

Personally when I was still busy with PHP (now my focus of attention is
in different, primarily study-related areas) I was setting a global
constant and depending on it, either a PerlMarkdown or a PHPMarkdown
formatter was instantiated. Obviously I finally setteld with Perl
version for speed :-) however, this is all completely simple (just a
bit of OO crud around two function calls) and I am not sure it can be
useable in plugin context.

I wouldn't mind to try to develop something like this, but I just don't
have the time to do it. Maybe this can be actually incorporated into
PHP Markdown itself? (I mean, this sounds a bit absurd, but not less
absurd and effective than a program like SketchUp using it's own C++
logic instead of Cocoa on OS X because it is faster).

I mean, I love Markdown, and I love it being available on my scripting
platform of choice, but in many web environments the speed hit is
immense.

So why not try to implement a Perl hook in your own package? Figuring
out paths can be quite a bit of pain but still...

P.S. It might be indeed interesting to see how Markdown performs in
different systems (assuming that the implementations are almost
identical).

--
Julian "Julik" Tarkhanov