Interesting Issue

Aaron VonderHaar gruen0aermel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 04:42:18 EST 2004

I'll concede that someone _might_ want to write
un*fucking*be_liev_able, and the it would be nice not to be prevented
from writing that.  But ... I can only recall two or three times in my
life that I ever actually have bolded or italicised part of a word.
In contrast, I type things like $long_winded_value or
MAGIC_DATE_CONSTANT_PART_FIVE typically several times a day.

For my own personal use, it would be much more convenient to have '_'
only emphasize entire words, and if I ever do need
"im<em>pres</em>sive", I'll just type that directly.  I suspect that
this would be the case for most people.  At least for programmers.  I
suppose for a novelist, the opposite may be true.