Markdown licensing

Stephen Haberman stephenh at chase3000.com
Mon Dec 13 15:15:48 EST 2004

> I am not a lawyer. But I'd argue along the lines of what you're
> saying, Bob -- that calling out to the shell to run Markdown.pl is
> effectively using it as a standalone separate process. Hence, for
> this reason, I've granted free use of Markdown.pl to commercial
> weblog editing apps such as Ecto and MarsEdit.

Oh. An explicit note of your judgment call on this I think would be a very
good addition to the download page.

I assumed just the opposite. E.g. that even calling the shell to invoke Perl
would be "linking" and hence make my distribution of Markdown.pl in a
commercial app be in violation of the GPL. Again, just my naïve assumption.
I'm glad that is not the case.

Nonetheless, due to the GPL's ambiguities and severe ramifications if
abused, where even you as project owner have to guess when interpreting it,
in any commercial setting I've been in, we generally stay very far away from
any GPL'd code. If anything it is as a matter of principal, and not relying
on our/the project owner's guesses about the GPL's interpretation.

So, making it BSD would be the only way I'd see it getting into a commercial
project I've been around. Maybe you're fine with that, and that is just
fine, this is just my two cents.

- Stephen