Ordered List Syntax Suggested Change

Sean Santry markdown at seansantry.com
Fri Mar 12 09:56:08 EST 2004

Hi Everyone -

I happened across Markdown the other day and like the idea (and
implementation), though I have a suggestion for the ordered list
syntax.

I've always found ordered lists annoying to write because inevitably I
get halfway through the list before I realize that the order is wrong.
I then must suffer the tedium of fixing up ordinals. Upon finishing the
list I realize that the order is *still* wrong, so I lather, rinse and
. . . well, you know the rest.

Though markdown somewhat addresses this by allowing me to use repeated
or out-of-sequence numbers, I find it odd that I might write in a text
file

3563. First
33. Second
900309237515. Third

and produce an HTML document that renders as

1. First
2. Second
3. Third

I noticed that `+' isn't used in the current syntax. May I suggest
using it in an alternate syntax for those of us who wish to ignore the
numbers in their ordered lists?

This

+ First
+ Second