Code blocks, the colon and French

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Tue Mar 16 15:42:58 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm building my own website management system (to be open source if it
is ever finished) and I'm currently using Textile, but seriously
considering switching to Markdown.

I suppose that's great, but half of my website is in French. The
problem is that the code block syntax is somewhat "incompatible" with
the French typographical standard that tend to also put a space
*before* the colon. Writing something like that:

> Exemple de code :
>
>     <?php echo "Bonjour" ?>

produce this:

> <pre><code>&lt;?php echo "Bonjour" ?&gt;
> </code></pre>

and the colon is lost, but it should not.

May I suggest that a change to this rule:

> If you don’t want a colon to appear in your HTML output, put a space
> before it.

for this rule:

> If you don’t want a colon to appear in your HTML output, put any
> ponctuation mark before it.

This would keep most of the current syntax untouched while still
allowing to put a space before the colon.

> A regular paragraph, without a colon. :
>
>     This is a code block.
>
> A regular paragraph, with a colon :
>
>     This is a code block.