cites for blockquotes

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Thu Mar 18 18:28:03 EST 2004

markdown at fredcondo.org wrote on 03/18/04 at 3:11p:

> This is definitely something I would use, but, as the philosophy is to
> have text markup that's rather similar to email, how about this
> syntax:
>
> > This is really very pithy, and will be widely
> > circulated.--http://www.penny-arcade.com

Look at the top three lines in your own message:

    On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 05:52:12PM -0500, Mike Shaver wrote:
    > Any thoughts on a syntax for indicating the source of a blockquoted
    > citation?  Perhaps

Now *that* looks like an email quote citation.

I.e.:

1.  Directly above the quotation.
2.  One line.

The date and time stuff isn't applicable. What we're looking for is
a URL. So, maybe something like this:

    <http://example.com/>:

    > Now is the time for all good men to come
    > to the aid of their country.

Or closed up if you prefer:

    <http://example.com/>:
    > Now is the time for all good men to come
    > to the aid of their country.

And it would generate:

        to the aid of their country.</p>

Something like this, maybe.