cites for blockquotes

David McCreath mccreath at kadmium.net
Thu Mar 18 18:47:00 EST 2004

> From: John Gruber
> Subject: Re: cites for blockquotes
>
> Look at the top three lines in your own message:
>
>  On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 05:52:12PM -0500, Mike Shaver wrote:
>  > Any thoughts on a syntax for indicating the source of a blockquoted
>  > citation?  Perhaps
>
> Now *that* looks like an email quote citation.

Another direction to go would be to think in terms of writing flow and
standard English writing practice. The quoting mechanism in email is useful
for scanning down a document where the writer/spreaker changes from block to
block, like a script, but it's not how I think about quotes in writing,
where *I* use someone else's words, then switch back to mine. But the quoted
person isn't actually in the monologue.

If I'm quoting someone at length, I put the citation afterwards to keep the
reading flow uninterrupted. In that respect something like

	> Now is the time for all good men to come
	> to the aid of their country.
	--http://example.com/

or

	> Now is the time for all good men to come
	> to the aid of their country.
	> :<http://example.com/>

would make more sense within the text document.

David