cites for blockquotes

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Thu Mar 18 22:00:18 EST 2004

Mike Shaver <shaver at off.net> wrote on 03/18/04 at 7:22p:

> Please find attached a patch for your consideration, which implements
> that syntax (and eliminates a warning generated when no file is
> processed).

Wow, that was fast. :^)

I've got to tell you -- should have mentioned it before, really --
that I take syntax changes super seriously. I always sleep on
anything new. It's my hope that Markdown makes it for the long haul,
and so I want to do everything I can to avoid any "Geez, I wish I we
hadn't made that mistake back at 1.0" decisions.

I do think adding citation attributes for blockquotes is a good
idea. And I do think the syntax will look pretty much like what I
suggested early. But I'm not going to say so for sure yet.

Even if I decide on something slightly different, however, your code
can probably be retrofitted, and I appreciate it very much.