Underscores for Horizontal Rules

Daniel Axelrod markdown at danonline.net
Fri Mar 26 00:44:28 EST 2004

At the end of every one of the messages on this list, Mailman appends:

That line of underscores is being used as a horizontal rule. I've often
seen people use underscores for horizontal rules, because most fonts
seem to be designed so that a series of underscores appears as an
unbroken line.

I would like to propose an addition to the Markdown syntax:
Three or more underscores create a horizontal rule the same way three
or more asterisks or dashes are used now.

There shouldn't be too much of an ambiguity problem between that and
emphasis, since asterisks are already used for both emphasis and
horizontal rules.