On Complex Lists

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sun Mar 28 13:10:16 EST 2004

Not a specific reply, just general thoughts. Lists can be very
complicated. As it stands, Markdown covers 95% or more of what I do in
everyday writing. Trying to cover that last fraction of possible uses,
possibly to the detriment of the covered 95%, would limit Markdown's
usefulness in the long run.

A simple and robust base would provide a strong foundation for future
versions and could be extended through simple hacks. The most popular of
these hacks could later be incorporated in to the official syntax for a
future version or simply provide a de facto standard. This market-driven
approach combined with careful planning worked extraordinarily well for XFN.

Personally, if I need to do something out of the ordinary, like a single
item "list", dropping into markup is not a big deal.

--Matt