xMarkdown implementation

european bob bob at wolfwall.com
Mon Mar 29 11:30:38 EST 2004

Hi all.

Newish to the list (I read through the archives a few days ago), I
thought I would post about some code I wrote. I like the Markdown syntax
a lot, I think it fills a valuable niche.

Basically, I ha(d|ve) a need for a Markdown system, but with various
properties that the current Markdown code does not have (most
importantly, dealing with invalid input and producing structurally
correct output). I wrote something I call my "Structural Markdown
parser" (structural referring to the implementation; the language it
parses attempts to be Markdown).

I doubt this will interest people currently happily using Markdown; but
it might be of use to people currently playing around with
customisations, etc., and could be useful in comparing document
transformation. It's currently available here:

<http://www.alcoholicsunanimous.com/xmarkdown/xMarkdown-current.tar.bz2>
(19k)

... with some further explanation about why I wrote it (though 50% of
the answer is 'because I wanted to', really) and why and how it is
different to the daringfireball.net implementation in the root of that
directory. It's basically targetting a slightly different audience, and
is technically implemented very differently.  Due to the different aims,
there are also areas it behaves differently (particularly with respect
to maintaining well-formed output), sometimes very differently, but I
think I've documented them.

I hope people find a separate codebase kind of interesting, anyway, not
least from a pathalogical point of view ;)

-- bob.