asterisks as bold or italic? (another push)

Timothy Binder lists at cyberthorn.net
Tue Mar 30 17:41:52 EST 2004

Lou,

Thank you for some very valid points. If John chooses to leave things
as they are, your concepts will help me let them go. (I really don't
want to be that old geezer who refuses to change with the times.)
However, plain text email limitations are pretty close to what was
available with typewriters, so the techniques adopted for one could be
somewhat relevant for the other.

I hadn't realized that XML only had the five entities. That explains
the use of decimal-encoded entities in SmartyPants. (I'm with the folks
who miss the larger entity set. It seems like the geeks winning over
the users. Kind of like ALT-0174 vs. Option-R "®".)

BTW, what do you consider the new meanings of caps and underscore to
be? I can see caps>>emphasis in print>>SHOUTING, if that's what you
have in mind -- it's a natural progression -- but underscore?
--
Timothy Binder                                Director, President-Elect
Philadelphia Science Fiction Society             <http://www.psfs.org/>