Implicit Link Names

Már Örlygsson mar at anomy.net
Tue Mar 30 18:53:43 EST 2004

Þann 2004-03-30, 18:36:29 (-0500) skrifaði Jelks Cabaniss:
> Seems like I've seen about this, but I can't find it in the archives:  Will
> there by a way do allow the "implicit link name" syntax to do without the
> following `[]` brackets?  In other words, like [this] instead of like
> [this][]?

Interesting question. I was thinking the same thing the other day...
However, square brackets are a standard way to indicate words/sentences
inserted into direct quotations, like this:

    > "I think [Google] is the best search engine."

Now, if I have used the implicit link word `[Google]` somewhere else in my
text, should Markdown also link my 'inserted' word above, if I didn't intend
it to be linked?

The `[Google][]` syntax is clearly less ambigious, but also clearly a little
less readable.

--
Már Örlygsson
mailto:mar at anomy.net