New link syntax

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Tue Mar 30 20:38:53 EST 2004

On Mar 30, 2004, at 8:04 PM, Aaron Swartz wrote:

> 	_John_ asked me about _the new elephant from Trolltech_. _I told him_
> I didn't
> 	know what he was talking about.
>
> 		[John]: http://daringfireball.net/
> 		[elephant]: http://trolltech.com/products/elephant/
> 		[told]: http://www.aaronsw.com/emails/28737

Aaron, you're proposing an unspecified alternate delimiter for link
text.  Can't evaluate it without knowing what alternate you propose.
Square brackets (unshifted) are already in use for this operation.  At
first glance I thought you had a concatenator in mind ... which was
interesting, but would have its own problems.

So *what* would you prefer to square brackets and why, considering that
users may hack-in an alternate if they feel strongly?

On the subject of hacks, I wonder if MD shouldn't abstract the various
delimiters into an easily-editable lookup array.  Easier to tinker, and
might solve some localization issues later.  Don't see it in the
source, but I'm way out of my Perl depth.

LQ