b and i

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Fri May 14 23:47:11 EDT 2004

On May 14, 2004, at 11:04 PM, John Gruber wrote:

> Admittedly `br` is a bit unique, but I wouldn't lump it with `i`
> and `b`.

Must disagree.

Look, I scorned <b> and <i> too.  Lately, though, I try to filter hard
for those occasions where I'm just going for bolding or italics yet
intend no particular emphasis in terms of screen-reader interpretation.
  Doesn't come up often but it *does* come up.

"Well then put on the presentational layer, Lou [you corrupting fool]."
  Why?  Then I'll have to make a whole special container with attribute
noise and whatnot.  I'll have to maintain it if the document moves.
Even sitting where it is, some user-agents aren't going to consider
linked styles ... and I want that passage persistently italicized,
dammit.  It's the title of full-length work, or some other typesetting
convention is at hand.  Who knows?  Where I want emphasis I'll use
<em>.  Where I want persistent italics with no implied vocal emphasis
I'll use <i>.  Don't tell me there's no place for it.  Screen-readers
can ignore it:  I'm talking to sighted readers accustomed to print
conventions.  Or is that not allowed?

Matthew Thomas goes a bit too far, but only a bit.

*visual* semantics that only obtain in the sighted world.  They have
value there and, when used with care, should neither be foregone nor
elevated to a specially-interpreted vocalization.

Textile has this right.  It's a little harder to mark-up <b> and <i>,
but it's there if you really mean it.

LQ