Greedy regex bug

Sebastian Banker sebbo at sebbo.org
Fri May 28 21:07:48 EDT 2004

Hi, list--

I use Markdown for both the entries and the comments on my [Blosxom
blog][], using Greg Vario's one-line [diff][] on the [Writeback][]
plugin to achieve the latter.

In responding to a friend's comment just now, I used the source markdown:

> Would you expect that to be [about the man
> himself](http://www.pdabookstore.com/servlet/mw?t=book&bi=430&si=4
> "Gilgamesh in the Outback by Robert Silverberg") or his [literary
> creations](http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=POD&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Dalt.sex.cthulhu
> "POD??")?

The resulting HTML, however, treated everything from "Gilgamesh" through
"POD??"  at the title for the first link, apparently preferring the last
available quotemark to the first one.

I don't know if it was some peculiarity of  the Writeback hack or what,
but I thought I should just throw the experience out and let you guys
know about it.

[Blosxom blog]: http://sebbo.org/diary/
[diff]: http://greg.vario.us/software/writeback.patch
[Writeback]: http://www.blosxom.com/plugins/input/writeback.htm