[ANN] Markdown 1.0.1b2

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Fri Nov 5 19:45:29 EST 2004

John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> wrote on 11/05/04 at 7:27pm:

> +   Changed _StripLinkDefinitions() so that link definitions must
>     occur within three spaces of the left margin. Thus if you indent
>     a link definition by four spaces or a tab, it will now be a code
>     block.

I mentioned this change a few days ago, but it's worth pointing out
that it will cause problems for you if you've been taking advantage
of this in previous versions.

You used to be able to do this (dashes mark the example text,
they're not part of the examples):

---
[This] [1] is a link.

    [1]: http://example.com
---

And it would be turned into:

---
---

Starting with this version, however, it will be turned into:

---

<pre><code>[1]: http://example.com
</code></pre>
---

I actually have to change a bunch of my own articles at Daring
Fireball to accommodate this, but I think it's clearly the right
thing to do. Indentation should always mean "code block".