automatic links within backticks not escaped properly

Tim Pritlove tim at ccc.de
Tue Nov 30 12:38:16 EST 2004

On 30.11.2004, at 07:20, John Gruber wrote:

>> Another factor is that having something that looks a bit like an HTML
>> tag (i.e. some text surrounded by angle brackets) seems to be asking
>> for trouble in a system that allows HTML too.
>
> I don't think so. Markdown's auto-link syntax only allows for links
> that start with proper protocols ('http:', 'ftp:', etc.) or which
> contain an email address. It's relatively easy to tell one apart
> from an HTML tag.

Can you explain what you'd call a "proper" protocol? Is it that just
"well-known" protocols are detected? Or is it that "any word followed
by a colon" is detected?

I am actually using a _lot_ of different protocols (including some used
only in our own projects) like afp, smb, ssh, scp, blp etc. pp.

Gretings
Tim
------
Tim Pritlove, Discordian Evangelist
<mailto:tim at ccc.de> <http://tim.geekheim.de/> <skype://timpritlove>
<aim:timpritlove> <jabber:tim at jabber.berlin.ccc.de>
Project Blinkenlights <http://www.blinkenlights.de/>
------
"Sure it corrupts your files, but look how fast it is!"