Writing complete pages

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Thu Oct 7 10:33:30 EDT 2004

Frank Blome <frank at projectwizards.net> wrote on 10/07/04 at 3:11pm:

> > Just script the addition of a simple header and/or footer to the
> > result of the Markdown transformation to get a simple page ...
>
> I thought about it… but maybe an option in the script might be a good
> idea.

It has come up before, and I'll consider it. But it's more likely
that I'd slap something together as a separate script than to
include it in Markdown.pl itself.

The problem is that it's hard to put together one simple wrapper
that pleases everyone. For example, document titles. Should the HTML
`<title>` be taken from the Markdown document? The first header? Or
should it be supplied as a separate argument to the wrapper? Some
will want it one way, some the other. Next thing you know, I'd be
writing a CMS.