[this] as a synonym for [this][]

Rad Geek technophilia at radgeek.com
Sun Apr 3 10:34:56 EDT 2005

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:08:40 -0500, Jelks Cabaniss <jelks at jelks.nu> wrote:

> I wrote:
>> For that matter, I think square brackets with other operators could
>> be used to advantage for a number of inline elements...
>>
>> 	[-del-] [+add+] ["cite"] [~span~]

What advantage does writing `[-text to be deleted-] [+text to be
inserted+]` really have over writing `<del>text to be deleted</del>
<ins>text to be inserted</ins>`? Is the one really any clearer than the
other? I mean, Markdown *already* allows you to put inline HTML in. I'm
pretty sure of how `*this*` improves on `<em>this</em>` when writing for
the web; I'm not at all sure how replacements for `<cite>`, `<span>`, etc.
do...

Cheers,
-C

--