[this] as a synonym for [this][]

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Sun Apr 3 12:59:19 EDT 2005

Rad Geek <technophilia at radgeek.com> wrote on 04/03/05 at 10:28am:

> 4.    Prior usage; `[[this]]` is already widely used in WikiPedia and other
> Wikis
>
> What do y'all think?

To me, #4 is the reason I *don't* want t support this: I'd like to
see Markdown adopted as a standard -- or maybe eventually even *the*
standard -- wiki markup syntax. I'm using Markdown in an
Instiki-powered wiki for a big specification project right now, and
the entire team is finding it very productive. But we're using the
[[double bracket]] syntax for the wiki cross-linking.

So I'm strongly inclined to leave this syntax as reserved for use by
wiki software itself.