Support for <(sub|sup)> (Was: [this] as a synonym for [this][])

David P Henderson dph at chaoswerks.com
Mon Apr 4 15:29:25 EDT 2005

On 03 Apr 2005, at 12:55, John Gruber wrote:

> On the other hand, I am tempted to add support for `<sup>`, and
> possibly `<sub>`. Not for writing mathematics -- Markdown is never
> going to be suitable for marking up equations, and it would be a
> mistake to pretend it could be -- but for very simple usage, such as
> footnotes.

All the homework for my college chemistry course is done online. When
writing chemical formulae and equations, we use syntax like the
following:

C_6_H_12_O_6_

and

Ba^2+^ + OH^-^

which render as

and

I realize that the first form is used for emphasis, but the second form
for <sup> would work and is fairly clear in its meaning.

Dave
--
Chaos Werks Design
"Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty."