Support for <(sub|sup)>

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Apr 4 22:40:29 EDT 2005

Le 4 avr. 2005, à 15:29, David P Henderson a écrit :

> On 03 Apr 2005, at 12:55, John Gruber wrote:
>
> All the homework for my college chemistry course is done online. When
> writing chemical formulae and equations, we use syntax like the
> following:
>
> C_6_H_12_O_6_
>
> and
>
> Ba^2+^ + OH^-^

Nice idea. I like it too. Sad `<sub>` with `_` doesn't work, because
that seems pretty much standard to me for scientific documents. I think
Textile use `~` for subscript, maybe we could use that too.

Now, about superscript, wouldn't it be more natural to write it this
way?

	Ba^2+ + OH^-

The rule could be enhanced by saying superscript stops on the next `^`
*or* on the next whitespace character, whichever come first. Of course
it couldn't handle spaces in superscript, but how often do we use that?
Using real tags will still work for these cases.

	He is the 1^st of his class.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/