Recap syntax ideas for Markdown?

David Engel engel5 at engel5.net
Wed Apr 6 14:21:30 EDT 2005

Could someone please verify that these are the syntax questions we have rolling around right now?

1. Subsript/superscript -- Superscript seems to be acceptable (and easy?) with `word^superscript^`. People have asked about using a space to close it, i.e., `x^2 `, but that raised questions about properly designating superscripts with spaces, where enclosing is clearer, i.e., `x^2 + 4^`. Subscript is an acceptable idea, but the question is what character to use to mark it. (The Textile `~` has received one plus and one minus, if I am correct.)

    Is `H{2}O` in conflict with anything? Or even acceptable?
2. Definition lists -- There has been discussion in the past, but it seems to have been tabled for lack of an acceptable standard.
3. Tables -- There has been a lot of discussion, including questions of what level of complexity to support, but I haven't heard/seen what the final direction is. Has a decision been made?
4. Blockquotes -- There had been discussion about citing block quotations in the past, but I have no idea if that is still in the works or not. (I hope so ;-)

Sorry to be such a newbie on this, but I thought it might be helpful to recap all the thoughts flying around.

David Engel