Automatic footnotes

Joseph Lorenzo Hall joehall at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:51:41 EDT 2005

Of course, there is another way... that is, using the `<acronym>` tag
to mark up footnotes that appear on a mouse-over. Like:

    This is a <acronym title="I went to a bar called foo last
night">footnote</acronym>.

In this case, when you mouse-over the text "footnote" the contents of
the `title` attribute appear as a tooltip.

I'm sure there's plenty of reasons why this is stupid... but I like it
and I've hacked my blogging software (b2evo) to do this rather easily.
 Of course, there is no Markdown syntax for acronyms, and I'm not sure
there should be... and this is probably a total semantic abuse of the
acronym tag anyway! -Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
UC Berkeley, SIMS PhD Student

This email is written in [markdown][]; an easily-readable and
parseable text format.
[markdown]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/