Markdown Media Type Registration

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Fri Apr 22 06:34:46 EDT 2005

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I saw nothing newer on
this.

* John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> [2004-11-21 21:12]:
> > Over on the Atom lists, we're tackling syntaxes that people
> > use to write their weblogs. It would be really handy if you
> > guys registered a media type for Markdown.
>
> I think this is a swell idea, but I must profess to know little
> about the nuances of deciding upon a new media type.

Has this happened yet?

> I'm curious as to why and when this would be used in the
> context of Atom. For the publishing API?

For example. It would be useful on any occasion where you want to
clearly identify your Markdown content as such.

> Would I use it instead of "text/plain" to serve up my
> Markdown-formatted plaintext web archives. E.g.:
>
>   <http://daringfireball.net/2004/11/audion_story.text>

There’s no requirement to, but you could. Markdown-savvy web
clients would transform the source automatically, and you could
just publish in Markdown and tell people to “just view source to
see how what Markdown looks like.” :o)

Regards,
--
Aristotle