Conversion of special characters to entities

Jelks Cabaniss jelks at jelks.nu
Mon Apr 25 13:55:59 EDT 2005

John Gruber wrote:
> I highly recommend using UTF-8 for your entire publishing workflow
> -- compose in UTF-8, store in UTF-8, publish in UTF-8. It really
> "just works".
>
> But even if you're using ISO-8859 or the Windows Latin-1 encodings,
> Markdown won't screw with your characters.
>
> To me, automatic entification of non-ASCII characters is never an
> appealing feature.

And if you do want them for whatever reasons, you can always run your HTML (post-Markdown) through [HTML Tidy].  Tidy is quite configurable for such things as entities (numeric or named) and/or encodings, indentation, etc. -- see the "[quickref]" page.

[HTML Tidy]: http://tidy.sourceforge.net/
[quickref]:  http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html

/Jelks