testing python-markdown

Yuri T. qaramazov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 22:42:16 EDT 2005

Yes, with -tidy option it does seem to normalize both files to a point
where it makes sense to diff them. I had to make a lot of small
changes but ended up getting clean diff on most tests eventually.
The tests that ended up failing seems to do so for three reasons:

1. Lack of support for nested braces ([[braces]](url)) - I can't think
of an easy way of adding this for the lack of python equivalent of
perl's recursive regexps. I am not sure it's worth it.

2. <p> tags in "loose" lists - I missed this rule earlier and now
figured out that I my current design makes it hard to implement it.
(When I am processing a list item I don't know what kind of a list
it's a part of.) This does seem like an important feature, so I will
think about it more when I am in a procrastination mode.

3. Markdown.pl converts "+\tText" to "+ Text", i.e. it uses THREE
tabs. What is the actual rule there? I can see that Markdown.pl
handles tabs via $text =~ s{(.*?)\t}{$1.(' ' x ($g_tab_width -
length($1) % $g_tab_width))}ge; but this looks like line noise to
me... Can someone provide pseudo-code for this?

- yuri