Markdown-Discuss Digest, Vol 26, Issue 22

Jonathan Barrett jonathan at relativesanity.com
Thu Dec 1 03:14:54 EST 2005

I used to think like this too, but HTML is all about semantics. Your
<cite>book titles</cite> can be italicised by appropriately styling
semantic tags, and you can use <span class="non-english">faux</span>
tags to mark up other things.

The problem with using <i>italics</i> explicitly is that if you then
decide that you want to have all your <i>book titles</i> appear in
bold type, but want to leave your <i>français</i> in italics, you're
stuck with a manual search and replace throughout your thousand page
site, instead of just

cite {
font-weight: bold;
}

And *that* is the real payoff with semantics ;)

-J