Markdown-Discuss Digest, Vol 26, Issue 22

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Dec 1 11:27:00 EST 2005

Le 2005-12-01 à 10:45, Jon Noring a écrit :

> They have different meanings, though. <span> is intended to be

> generic, while <b> and <i> have non-generic meanings which are obvious

> to all.

`<b>` intent is to mean "bold", just like `<span style="font-weight:
bold">`, which is only a presentational thing. Sure we all can
understand the meaning carried by the presentation, but only when put
in the right context. Bold text could mean anything: is it a header?
a glossary item? some kind of emphasis?

The role of semantics is to disambiguate such things and "bold"
doesn't help much. Maybe `<b>` has more meaning than `<span>` because
bold has a narrower usage that, say, unaltered text. But in my view
it has absolutely no precise semantic meaning.

It is however a very good fit everywhere the text should be
gracefully degraded as bold type where CSS isn't supported.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/