Tables

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Fri Dec 2 18:14:19 EST 2005

Dr. Drang <drdrang at gmail.com> wrote on 12/2/05 at 12:28 PM:

> * In fact, I'd like to see the cell alignment extended to include

> decimal alignment. Thus

> Multiply | by | to get

> ----------|.---------|---------

> ft | 0.3048 | m

> mph | 0.447 | m/s

> in | 25.4 | mm

> hp | 745.7 | W

I can't see the advantage to adding this sort of "line noise"
complexity to Markdown's table rules when you can get the same
effect using regular right-justification and zero-padding the
numbers:

Multiply | by | to get
ft | 0.3048 | m
mph | 0.4470 | m/s
in | 25.4000 | mm
hp | 745.7000 | W

You can say, "Well, I don't want to add those zeroes", but my answer
would be "Then just right raw HTML". I think anything other than
left/right/center alignment is needless complexity for Markdown.