Decimal points & Milliards (was Re: Tables)

A. Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Wed Dec 7 00:53:00 EST 2005

* Brian Forte <bforte at adelaide.on.net> [2005-12-07 06:25]:

> Speaking for myself, I prefer the full stop as decimal point.

> And not just because of familiarity. It leaves the comma

> available to act as a visual aid for reading very large numbers

> (eg 1,000,000.00).

Well, amusingly enough, it so happens that the dot takes that
role in Western European notation: 1.000.000,00. No overloading
of spaces in common usage.

> FWIW, in general use, I avoid the Modified Chuquet system. I

> write mostly in English and, in my experience, the Modified

> Chuquet system is essentially unknown in the Anglophonic world.

It certainly makes for funny mental gymnastics for speakers of
both English and another language which uses Modified Chuquet. It
makes for particularly funny gymnastics when, like me, you *also*
speak another language which uses neither (ie. Greek in my case).

Regards,