Attribute references

Mark Henderson Linton marklinton at mac.com
Sun Jan 9 17:25:29 EST 2005

Lou Quillio wrote:
> Jelks Cabaniss wrote:
>> david scotson wrote:
>>> However, I'd propose {name} and {#name} for class="name" and
>>> id="name"
>>> respectively.
>>
>> Yes.  And {#id class} for `<tag id="id" class="class">` to
>> simultaneously
>> handle both.
>
> Might as well go the full route. {#id .class}
>
> As for other attributes, I say the user's on his own there -- though I
> would like a way to specify height/width attributes for images.

The users are on their own seems rather hostile. How about this,
picking up where you left off:

* If it starts with a hash (e.g., ## Heading {#id}), then it is an id
-- no reference needed.

* If it starts with a dot (e.g., ## Heading .class), then it is a class
-- no reference needed.

* If it starts with *anything else*, then it is a reference and the
syntax proceeds a la John's original proposal (e.g.,
[image](sourceURL){img1}... and later... {img1}: width="320"
height="240"), up to and including specifying id and class.

* If you really want to you could include the inline specification
(e.g., ![image](sourceURL){#my-image .my-class width="30"
height="30"}). Though I would argue that this is darned close to just
writing out the HTML -- and not quite as legible. ;-)

Sincerely,
Mark Linton
--
Research is the art of seeing what everyone else has seen, and doing
what no-one else has done.