Attribute references

David Dorward david at dorward.me.uk
Tue Jan 11 04:56:14 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 03:35:45PM -0500, Joshua Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:42:29 +0000, european bob <bob at wolfwall.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 13:09 -0500, Joshua Cook wrote:

> Sounds like you've never visted the CSS Zen Garden.

A site which does a very impressive job of showing how much CSS can
alter the way a document looks if you pack it full of hundreds of
nested divs and are willing to use extreme amounts of FIR.

> What if your
> document will be displayed, unmodified, on a normal computer monitor
> and a small handheld screen?  What will the handheld user see when you
> document contains an image with width="480" and height="360"?

On my system - nothing at all. I keep images turned off since GPRS is
so expensive. If I were to turn them on, I'd see a scaled down version
of the image suitable for my screen. Handheld browsers come with quite
a lot of features designed to make pages designed for higher
resolutions viewable.

Besides, there is nothing to prevent you specifying different
dimensions for the image in the attributes and in various media
specific style sheets. CSS properties trump HTML attributes (by the
spec).